The annual Scripps National Spelling Bee — my favorite non-baseball “sporting” event of the year — is on ESPN today and tomorrow. How about our own MLB Spelling Bee? Can you identify and then spell the following fifteen words/names correctly without looking them up? Try your luck in the comments.
1. This FOX broadcaster also broadcasts Reds games along with his father.
2. This is the mascot for the MLB team based in the eastern part of the Keystone State.
3. He’s the current closer for the Mets.
4. This man manages the Brewers.
5. This Padres starting pitcher is currently missing his second consecutive season due to injury.
6. This former major-league manager and 2013 Rockies first-base coach is now a catching instructor and defensive positioning coach for the Rockies.
7. This Cubs starter currently has an ERA of 1.68.
8. This former A’s reliever became a starter in 2008 and finished the year with a 2.54 ERA and a WHIP under 1.
9. This former Braves starter, who made the 2011 All-Star Team, was just signed to a minor league contract by the Reds.
10. This former Rays top shortstop prospect is now serving a harsh punishment on the Phillies (and on their AAA team).
11. This pitcher from Hawaii, formerly a Mariners and Royals reliever, currently plays for the Bridgeport Bluefish of the Atlantic League and has a last name similar to the first baseman for the Yankees.
12. This first baseman was never really given a chance in Kansas City, and didn’t do so well when given a chance in Oakland.
13. This former Blue Jay and Cardinal is currently a member of the Indians bullpen.
14. This man was a backup catcher for the Padres, batting .144 from 1981 through 1984.
15. This former Mariner and Tiger left fielder, first baseman, and third baseman, currently plays in Buffalo for the Blue Jays’ AAA team.